The content of this webpage, and everything associated with this webpage, is independent of the Peace Corps and the United States Government, though I think they should read it too. This blog solely reflects the experiences and observations of Jake DeBerry.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Time...there she goes

Since I was fortunate to know a few returned peace corps volunteers, I got a very accurate assessment of what service would be like before arriving. One of the things all of them mentioned, was just how fast the last year goes...especially the last 6 months.

Now, I have about 4 months left of the journey that began, what feels like, quite a long time ago. It's still too far out to really write the reflection piece to it all - though around now you start thinking, "What have I really done here?" "Am I happy with what I/We have accomplished?" The answer to that, with regards to the job, is yes and no. I've been pondering what I've accomplished recently and will write more about it later. Just completing 2 years of service though is something to be proud of...as one Marine at the embassy told me, "You guys are hardcore."

In a month, I'll be traveling to Lima for our "Close of Service" conference. Of course, it will be one big meeting of reflection and ambiguous anticipation for what comes next. The next 4 months though will be quite busy. I'll be trying to finish up with the job, getting ready for the next stage of life, and planning my way back home. I'll be going home by land...from Peru to San Diego. Should be quite a time. If anyone wants to pick me up in San Diego and road trip across the States, let me know.

Here are some pictures of a few of the fun times over the past couple months.
Much love,
Jake
This is the view from up the hill where I live. The one of the valley, if you look closely you can see the airport.


That's the tripod of Anca$h having a slumber party, drinking lots of wine and making chili. Somehow we got our hands on a spice packet for chili. It was amazing.

1 Comments:

Blogger mlopez said...

CLOS! I know that brand! :-) Glad you are having an amazing time Jake -- great reading about it, makes me want to be traveling again!

May 19, 2009 at 7:51 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home